Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sunday night



It's Sunday night and I'm thinking about how much I'm loving the garden at the moment, it's still green and lush, even though we haven't had rain. The two trees near our back door provide so much shade


and that helps keep our house (and Patch's) cool,
& gives space for playing out of the hot sun..




As usual we have packed in plenty of action this weekend. We went to a trivia night, a fundraiser for school, which was fun, it's always good to catch up with friends and see people from all over the community coming together to support the school. Today's been a hazy blur of cooking, dancing, mood swings (no not me) sewing, chatting, planning...



...and some heavy duty make up application.
Ahhh..pink eye brows....





The first of our garlic was hung up to dry in the shed.








We still have the main crop to harvest which will be in December. Lets hope it isn't as hot as it was on Friday, being out in the 35 degree heat in the paddock nearly killed me!



The chooks enjoyed their free ranging this weekend, what a beautiful bunch of girls (and boy) they are. Still laying five eggs a day we are on a good roll with them. What magificent pets they are, providing us with eggs, fertilising the groud and eating all our scraps. On a sad note our friends tiny chicks were taken by a crow on Saturday. Poor Matilda (their 10 year old adopted mother) was heart broken. Life is cruel sometimes.




The apple trees are looking good and healthy, after last years bumper crop we may not have any this year. I think that's how it works with apple trees, every second year? Or did I make that up...?


Here is my favourite old rose climbing up to the sun. You can't see the colour so well here but it is an unusual pinky red, so lovely.

And of course there were weekend pancakes, oh how I love them.

I also discoverd today that my lovely daughter Charlotte has a blog!!
She has been putting some of her amazing photo's on it, do pop over here and have a look.


Sunday has her own exciting news, a majorly wobbly front tooth about to fall out!


Lastly cuddles all round and off to bed.
(Mummy I could hug you all night)
Good night to you too, lovely friends,
sleep tight xo

19 comments:

Kate said...

Sounds and looks like a lovely weekend. Exciting about your garlic, I think ours will come out in the next week or two. Congratulations on your grandblog, I'm off to check it out now. XX

BadPenny said...

just found your Blog & love it.

I have recently got four hens and am loving them !!!

V for Violet said...

Lovely post, I feel like I've been to visit! It's so nice to see (and imagine) the warm sunshine. Your place looks wonderful, love the apple trees and your veggie patch and the rambling rose, so pretty. x

Emily said...

What great pictures from around your place. It just looks lovely there. Such cute kiddos too! Of course, I love the chicken pictures. Sad story about the sad "mother" hen.

Floss said...

Beautiful, summery post, Beck! I'm excited to hear about the garlic - I find I think of you and your crop whenever I cook with garlic now! Lovely family photos too. I honestly can't imagine life with girls...

Dawn said...

What a beautiful garden you have!
Your chickens look so happy. Mine are looking so sorry for themselves, paddling around in the mud and two have just moulted. I have just had to buy eggs as they have all stopped laying for the winter now.

Pomona said...

If you keep your apples well-pruned then they should produce every year - plums tend to be biennial, but apples not, with the right care.

At the moment our weather is completely the opposite to yours - high winds, heavy rain, gloomy days, and outside is generally not much fun! So it's lovely to see some blud skies on your blog!

Pomona x

Doily said...

You must be so proud!... a Grand-Blog! Huzzah! Loving the pink eyeshadow, thats my kinda look!
Steph

Sue said...

Your garden looks beautiful Beck. I spent the weekend with Isabelle and Paul pulling out dead lavender plants and one flowery bush which sadly was next to the leaking water meter and rotted its roots. Paul has fixed it now thank goodness. We put in a new crabapple tree which I am told survives in the drought very well and is to replace my 3 birch trees which died. I love your climbing rose, it looks beautiful. How cute pink eyebrows too, my daughter had green ones for a party last Friday for another Halloween party, lol! How awfully sad about the chickens too, I knew there was a reason I hated crows so much. They are awful birds as we have a few around here too and they seem to scavenge everything dont they. Okay off to check out Charlottes blog now!

Tania said...

That garlic looks AMAZING. Though I can imagine you were a bit underwhelmed by it in 35 degree heat. (Oh, and pink eyebrows are the new black, dontchaknow).

Aussie-waffler said...

What a luscious garden you have there with chooky and apple tree goodness. I'm just a touch jealous, although out vegies are coming along slowly but surely, woo hoo.

hester said...

Gorgeous photos of your back yard, Beck. It looks so cool and inviting and I truly love your climbing pink rose. What a vision!

Amber said...

Oh life there every time takes my breath away. It is looking lush you are right and those pancakes...yummm...the garlic is just so exciting.
Evrything looks in perfect balance...happy days ..xxx

Something Happened Somewhere Turning said...

Well we had waffles this weekend with peaches and it was great.
I am glad you stopped by.
It is very hard to get moon shots. I really need a better camera. What was amazing was we chased the moon through the neighborhood looking for a good shot and I forgot my tripod. You definitely need one of those.
When you say it is 30 and 35 degrees, does that mean it is in the 90's? It is just starting winter here and it is in the 30 - 40 degree range right now.
Take care Beck. Thanks for stopping by.

picciolo said...

we have lots of garlic hanging in our shed too! Not as much as yours but it still took a long time to plait them all. Love the pink eyebrows too!
: )

Weezie's Woolies said...

What a wonderful weekend!! It would be like a dream weekend for me. We are apartment dwellers, so unfortunately having a rabbit or chickens is something we live vicariously. More visits like this please!

Anonymous said...

What a divine looking place you have!!! And as for the garlic - very envious ...! x

Kitty said...

Hello Beck! I'm so glad you liked your parcel. Thanks so much for your sweet comments.
Your garden is looking wonderful, I do love that big tree. There's alot of similarity between yours & mine... chickens, big shady tree, fruit trees & pretty roses.
What a busy weekend you had too.
I hope the rest of your week is lovely.

Ange said...

Looks like bliss, Beck, especially that lovely rose ...