Sunday, January 2, 2011

Dreamy January


New Years Day is always a fun one for me and this year was just as good as ever. Lucy & I drove through the hills, past fields with beautiful rolls of hay until we got to Glenlyon to help out at the fabulous Glenlyon Family Sports Day.


We spent the day serving in the canteen, making hundreds of cups of tea & coffee, selling cakes and other yummy things to the many people who came along to enjoy a day in the country.  Our school raises funds for all kinds of things we need and it's one of our main fundraisers for the year. But the best bit is being together as a community, having a chat & being involved in a truly wonderful event.


I love the simpleness of it all, there is no rides or crappy plastic things for sale, just good old honest country fun.

One of the best parts is the kids races,


all jumbled together they wait for their age group to come up.


On your marks, get set....


Go!!


 It was a long day and boy did my legs and feet ache afterwards! But we had a ball & I couldn't think of a better way to start the new year. Do you do anything special on New Years Day? I wonder if you have a tradition or special event.

It's a funny time of year isn't it? Life is almost on hold..or maybe this is life! A softer, dreamier life. The slow days and unstructured time makes time go slower, more quietly. We are getting up later & staying up later, eating at seven not six. I find the kids are arguing one minute then playing long, long make up games the next. I guess we are adjusting to a different time & space. It's been so nice having Mark home to share the day to day things we do as a family too.  Blog land has seemed a bit remote to me, although I have been enjoying a little peek here & there. Oh well, time for bed now dear friends, I 'm going to snuggle up and read my book and drift off....see you soon xo

6 comments:

Unknown said...

What a fantastic way to see in the New Year! Happy New Year love annie x

Liz said...

Sounds a much better day than mine. I always spend NYs day taking down decorations, by the 1st I'm over them and just want them gone. A lot of satisfaction at the end of the day though, the house is back to it's non-glitter normality, dusted, tidied, calm and quiet ready for a new year...
Lizzie
xxx

Sue said...

You have such a wonderful first day of the year. I spend it taking down my christmas decorations too. We have been staying up late and rising late as well which is nice, lets me get more crafting in!

hester said...

It is a dreamy limbo time when I forget what day, date and even year it is. So good to slow down and just be. Your New Year's Day fundraiser looked like fantastic fun.

Heidi said...

What a great way to start the year!!

Kate said...

Wow, it looks like such a great event. I had it pictured so differently in my mind. I think that's why I've never been. Now I've seen your gorgeous pics I wish I had. Oh well, next year. Lots of love to you honey. See you soon. XX